Lessons Learned Over a Toolbox

Lessons Learned Over a Toolbox – Things I Appreciate About My Dad
A sermon delivered by Rev. Dr. Randy K. Hammer – June 16, 2019
Matthew 13:54-56 GNT

I was surprised to learn, and you may be surprised to learn as well, that there are only two references of the word “carpenter” in the entire New Testament.  One is in the passage read from Matthew, referring to Jesus’ father, Joseph: “Isn’t he [i.e., Jesus] the carpenter’s son?” (Matthew 13:55)    And the other reference is in the Gospel of Mark, referring to Jesus himself: “Isn’t he [Jesus] the carpenter, the son of Mary?” (Mark 6:3).  From these two scant references, it appears that Joseph was a carpenter and that Jesus learned from Joseph the carpenter’s trade and for a time worked as a carpenter himself before leaving his woodworking tools behind and becoming an itinerant preacher.

The traditional view has been that the carpentry of Joseph and Jesus may have taken the form of furniture making, or perhaps contributing to housing construction through producing wooden doors and windows, door frames, and other wooden objects.  As biblical commentator Pheme Perkins points out, “Some scholars even surmise that he [Jesus] might have spent some time working on building the magnificent Gentile cities, like Sepphoris, that were not far from his village.”1 

But the pertinent point here is the distinct possibility that as a youngster Jesus worked alongside and learned from Joseph in the family carpentry shop.  And as father and son worked together, we are wont to believe that much teaching and learning occurred amongst the tools, sawdust and shavings, not just about shaping wood, but about religion and the shaping of life as well.

Now, I am not putting my life on the same plane with the life of Jesus by any means (so don’t even go there), but before I turned to the life of preaching, I, too, worked in a carpenter shop (just like my Boss J) as a crafter of wood and maker of hand-crafted furniture.  (I’ve always taken satisfaction in the thought that one can’t go too wrong by starting out as a carpenter and ending up as a preacher J.)

But the truth is, I have carpentry in my blood or genetic make-up.  Two of my great-grandfathers – Great-grandfather William Isaac Hammer and Great-grandfather Marion Burger – were carpenters, and their sons, my two grandfathers – Johnny Hammer and Howard Burgner – were carpenters as well.  The country store that I frequented as a boy was revitalized a few years ago and is doing a booming business these days as an authentic country store and restaurant.  The building was constructed just after the turn of the 20th century, making it well over 100 years old.  That country store that has been situated at the community crossroads opposite two community churches for over 100 years was built by my Great-grandfather Hammer and his son, my grandfather, and his brothers.  It is the Pilot Hill Old Country Store in Limestone, Tennessee, if you care to Google it.

My Dad never made his living as a carpenter, but he did a lot of carpentry work as a sideline in my formative years, and I was able to work alongside him and learn from him.  My Dad was most gifted in working on large projects, such as building barns, tool sheds, tractor sheds, and the like.  I look back fondly on my adolescent years when my Dad and I worked together on various community carpentry projects.

So, just as I did in my Mother’s Day sermon, when I drew some points from the scripture and shared some things I appreciate about my Mom, I thought it only right that today I draw some spiritual points and share some things I appreciate about my Dad.  (You have heard the saying, “Give people you love flowers while they are living.”)  So, here are a few things I learned from and appreciate about my Dad, along with some points about life in general:

Point #1: You take care of things.  I learned from my dad that you take care of the things you have, like the tools that you own and depend upon to get the job done.  My Dad would never leave one of his carpentry, automotive, or other tools outside to be rained upon, because metal tools left out in the rain will rust and wooden handles on shovels, garden hoes, rakes, and such will ruin and cause you to blister your hands when you use them. 

Several years ago, the pastor of the local church asked my Dad if he could borrow his wooden stepladder to do some painting.  The pastor kept the step ladder for weeks, and every time my Dad would pass by the pastor’s house, he would see the step ladder out in the yard where it was getting rained on.  When the pastor finally returned the stepladder some weeks later, my Dad half-jokingly commented, “I guess I will have to give that stepladder a good whipping so that it won’t stay gone so long the next time!”  I think the pastor got the point.

My Dad taught me to take care of my automobiles by changing the oil and servicing them regularly, parking them in a garage out of the weather, keeping them clean and waxed, and trying as much as possible to keep them looking like new.

But Dad’s teaching about taking care of things extended to other areas as well, like taking care of and providing for one’s family.  Dad worked hard at his primary job, which was being employed by the Magnavox Company and its successors for 43 years, getting only two or three weeks of vacation each year.  Who works for the same company in the same plant today for 43 years?  Not many people.  And then as noted earlier, he often worked at a second, after-hours or morning job, when his primary job was working the second shift from 3-11, doing carpentry work or farm work in the community.  Such were the times when I worked alongside him.  But with limited education, my Dad took care of us. 

Point # 2: Following the first point, my Dad taught me that orderliness is next to godliness.  In other words, in my Dad’s shop space or garage, there was a place for everything, and everything was put in its place when the day’s work was done.  We weren’t allowed to leave tools lying around on the ground or floor.  He had installed boards on the basement wall with nails driven at just the right places so as to hang hammers, shovels, pick axes, and every other tool that hung, or else things were put in a cabinet or on a shelf in the proper place.  I’m still working on this point, Dad, and sometimes the disorderliness of my work area would shame you. 

But in a broader, life sense, there is a time and place for everything in life, and everything in its proper place, to draw from the Preacher of Ecclesiastes.  There are some things that are proper to do and say, especially in public, and there are some things that are not proper to do and say.  Everything in life in its proper place.

Point # 3: A third thing I learned from my Dad is you take pride in your work.  You don’t cut corners, and you do things right the first time.  When doing a job for yourself, it is a practical, prudent matter.  If you do it right the first time, you won’t have the expense and trouble of having to do it again.  If you are doing a job for someone else, it is a matter of honesty and integrity.

And such is a principle for life in general.  We learned to be honest and to respect others and their property.  And maintaining one’s integrity and good name is of the utmost importance. 

Yes, like boy Jesus who learned much about carpentry, but who also likely learned much about life and religion alongside Joseph over a toolbox, I learned much about carpentry and hard work and about life alongside my Dad: taking care of those you love; the proper way to live your life; and honesty, integrity and respect for others.  Such life lessons helped make me who I am.  So thanks, Dad for the lessons learned over a toolbox.  Amen.
 1Pheme Perkins, The New Interpreter’s Bible, Vol. VIII.  Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1995, p. 593.

Comments

Popular Posts